How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Monday, January 20, 2014

Home made French Onion Soup

Everyone in our family loves French Onion Soup. We buy frozen blobs of if from Trader Joe's or Costco pretty regularly. Then we have an easy meal on nights no one wants to cook. The individual frozen blobs go into ceramic bowls, and then are baked until they melt. We have never attempted to make French Onion Soup ourselves - until last night. I can't believe I never did it before. It was almost as easy as the frozen kind.

I found the recipe in the seldom used Soup Cookbook by Jean Childress. I used one onion which I sliced and sauteed, then added one can of chicken stock. The recipe at this point says just to simmer for thirty minutes, no mention of any other seasonings, which didn't seem right to me, so I added a bay leaf, some garlic salt, pepper, and dried parsley, and then simmered for half an hour. The soup was then divided into two bowls, I added some bread machine French bread to each, and topped with some Provolone cheese. The bowls were placed in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes in order to melt and brown the cheese.

Easy comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment