How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Apple-Gruyère French Toast With Red Onion

I found this recipe last month in the New York Times during Hanukkah. I printed it out, but never got around to preparing it, until last night. The name of the dish says it all. This was tangy, sweet, and tart. James and I both liked it. I knew better than to serve it to Paloma. She just had plain old boring french toast. I did insist that she eat some apple though.

I did not follow the recipe exactly as presented. I did not use challah bread, nor did I cut pockets into it, instead I made "french toast sandwhiches" with regular wheat bread. I can see how thick slices with pockets would be less messy though. Perhaps next time I will follow this method. I already had white onions at home, but not red ones, so I used what we had. I did not add salt and pepper to the egg mixture, nor top the toast with a fried egg. We ate ours with a bit of powdered sugar. Tasty.

1 comment:

  1. This was a yummy addition to our growing list of French-toast variations.

    ReplyDelete