How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Salmon & Asparagus

 Toward the end of last week, I browsed Laura Arnold's Best Simple Suppers for Two: Fast and Fool-proof Recipes for One, Two, or a Few. I hardly remembered this book, though my GoodReads review points to our 2017 Turkey Burger Flavor Symphony post. This time, I immediately found three new recipes I would like to try, and bought ingredients for two of them (check back in a couple of days for the rest of this story).

For honey-mustard glazed salmon, I preheated the oven to 450F and then mixed a couple spoonfuls each of whole-grain mustard, brown sugar, and honey in a small bowl. I lined a baking sheet with foil, and then placed a salmon fillet (about 1 pound) on the foil, skin side down. I covered it with the glaze and placed it in the oven, setting the timer for 15 minutes.

I then prepared the vegetables: discarding the woody ends of asparagus, slicing grape tomatoes in half, and zesting one lemon. I heated oil in a large, indispensable cast-iron skillet and once it was hot added both the asparagus and tomatoes. Stirring occasionally over medium-high heat until semi-crisp (five minutes), I then added the lemon zest and juice, cooking for another minute and then turning off the heat.

I removed the salmon, cooked through and with the glaze slightly caramelized. I had actually made too much glaze, so I was grateful that I could discard the foil rather than trying to clean the pan! As is usually the case when baking salmon, the fillet slid easily off the skin. As I always do, I sliced the fillet so that each of us had the same combination of thin and thick cut.

I plated this with the vegetables and paused for this quick photo as Pam pronounced it delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment