How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Arabian Squash Casserole

In the spirit in which this blog was originally intended I got out my classic Moosewood Cookbook and found a recipe that I had never prepared before. 

The recipe calls for 4 cups of cooked squash or pumpkin (mashed) but I must admit to using two cans of pumpkin rather than getting a squash and cooking it. The rest of the ingredients include:

1 T. olive oil

1 1/2 c. chopped onion

1 t. salt

Chopped red and green bell peppers

4-5 cloves of garlic (minced)

black pepper and cayenne pepper (to taste)

1/2 plain yogurt  (I used Greek)

1 c. crumbled feta

chopped walnuts for topping

Once the onions, peppers and garlic were sauteéd in the olive oil I mixed all the ingredients together (except the walnuts) in one bowl, transferred the mixture to baking dish, and topped with the walnuts. This baked for about 35 minutes at 375. I served it with some additional Greek yogurt for topping and pita bread on the side.

The recipe says that this makes 4-5 servings, which is about right. Since there were only two of us we had plenty of leftovers. I made this on a Friday night, and we had some (but not all) of the leftovers on Sunday night. Meanwhile James had some dental work on Monday and he cannot have nuts for a few weeks, so I had some again for lunch on Monday. There is still about a serving left, which I think I will wait a few days before eating, as I am getting a little bored of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment