How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Monday, March 23, 2015

Enchiladish

For a dinner at our church this weekend, I had volunteered to make a casserole, with no specific choice in mind. When the time came, I almost reverted to a potato-mushroom casserole with sun-dried tomatoes that I have not made in some while (and which seems to be absent from this blog). In the spirit of Nueva Receta, however, I decided to go to the cookbook shelves, and found a likely candidate in the second book I picked up -- Extending the Table.

The index includes several items under the heading "casserole" and confirms that lasagna can be considered part of the category. I chose, however, to try the Enchilada Casserole, also known as Locro, from Paraguay. As the recipe promises, this is far easier to make than actual enchiladas would be.

As published, the recipe is for a tiny casserole, so I doubled it. The result was still rather shallow in the pan, so I will probably make a larger batch next time. This is not baking, so the proportions need not be exact. For example, the recipe calls for 1/3 cup of chopped green pepper, which I "doubled" to one large green pepper plus two jalapeƱos.

I preheated the oven to 350F and then browned a pound of ground turkey, a chopped onion, the peppers mentioned above. I omitted the salt called for in the recipe because it also calls for tomato sauce, which always has plenty of salt. I did, however, add a lot of chili powder and oregano. I will also add cayenne next time.

The recipe indicates that fat should be "skimmed" at this stage, because it calls for ground beef. The lean ground turkey did not require skimming. I added one can of tomato sauce and 3 cups -- one full bag -- of frozen corn. (The recipe suggests hominy, which we have given an honest try a couple years ago and just don't like, or canned corn, which is just gross. )

I simmered this for just a few minutes and poured it into the casserole, baking for 20 minutes. I then added a generous shredding of pepper-jack cheese and baked for five more minutes.

This was a crowd pleaser: we brought home a clean dish!


No comments:

Post a Comment