How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dos recetas nuevas

It is "leafy green season" here in New England, so we have eaten a lot of salad thanks to our CSA farm share. We have had quite an abundance of greens the last few weeks, so in addition to salads I have been looking for ways to cook some of the greens. One simple meal was to simply sautee some mixed greens and add leftover rice to the skillet. I topped it with cheddar cheese to give a bit more flavor. That still left us with many, many greens so I went to that doyenne of veggies, Deborah Madison, to find another recipe. I selected "Greens with Potatoes" from the Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook, knowing that my daughter will eat almost anything if potatoes are included. This was pretty similar to the rice and greens I threw together. I boiled some potatoes while sauteeing the greens with garlic rabe and scallions (garlic and scallions courtesy of the farm box as well), then mashed the potatoes and added them to the skillet unitl the greens and potatoes were throughly mixed. I added two peeled and diced tomatoes before serving.

And, since it was Sunday, I held true to my vow to use my bread machine. I picked Potato Rosemary bread from the Gold Medal New Bread Machines Recipes cookbook. I think we have had mashed potato flakes stored in our freezer for over a decade. We bought them for use in the bread machine, but hardly made potato bread, so I was glad to use them finally. I can't image using them to make mashed pototoes, which I would only do with real potatoes. For my 1 pound bread machine I used: 1 c. water; 1.5 T butter; 1 1/4 c. white flour and 1/2 c. wheat flour; 1/3 c. mashed potato mix; 3/4 T dried rosemary leaves; 3/4 T sugar; 1 t. salt; 1.5 t yeast, and used the regular setting. The bread was delicious. I am going to make it again soon. I'll be glad to use those potato flakes again.

The whole family enjoyed this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment