How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, October 11, 2013

Gazpacho

Like my last post this recipe was one I printed out and found on my desk while cleaning my office recently (my office, by the way, has already returned to a state of utter chaos). I probably intended to make this cold soup one of the especially warm days we've been experiencing this fall, but when I finally got around to it last night the temperatures had dropped into the 40s. It was still tasty, and filling, especially with some good bread.

I started with about half a dozen medium tomatoes from a few different gardens (all local and organic). The tomatoes were cut and then placed in a blender and pureed. They were moved into a bowl so that one cucumber, 1/2 a medium onion, and two small garlic cloves could take thier turn in the blender. Once everything was in the bowl in a chunky-liquid state I added 2 cups of commercial tomato juice, a dash of red wine vinegar, and a pinch of garlic salt and mixed well. Finally I whisked in about 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt and chilled for a few hours before serving. This had a pleasant sweetness to it. James especially liked it more than he expected to.

No comments:

Post a Comment