How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, October 11, 2013

Caprese Lasagna Rolls Ups

I do not remember how I came across this recipe on the internet, but I do know I love lasagna, and Caprese salad, so however I found it, it would have caught my attention. I printed out the recipe some time ago, and found it while I was cleaning my office last week. It was fortuitous since we had a good selection of fresh tomatoes from our farm box, a friend's garden, and our own garden to use. We also had fresh basil from our own garden.

I make a lasagna at Christmas time every year from a recipe in my 365 Ways to Cook Pasta Cookbook. It takes 3 1/2 to four hours to prepare all the ingredients cook the sauce and the pasta, assemble everything and bake. This recipe, while not speedy quick, took considerably less time (about an hour).

If you click on the link above you will see some rather pretty pictures of the lasagna being prepared, and how it looked afterwards. I did not see any reason to make the inside of the noodles look good so mine did not look like that while preparing. Furthermore, I did not "garnish with plenty of basil ribbons". There was plenty of basil in the sauce, as well as fresh leaves rolled up right inside the noodles. I also diced my tomatoes, rather than using slices. I modified the "Simple Marina Sauce" by simply sauteeing some onion and garlic, adding a can of organic tomato sauce, some diced tomatoes and some basil, oregano, and parsley. Ultimately, though my roll ups looked a lot like the "finished" picture (except without the basil ribbons) and they were mighty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment