How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Spaghetti with tomatoes, bacon and onions

Last week we bought some bacon in order to make some of our favorite sandwiches (bacon with cheddar and red pepper jelly). Since we did not use all of it, I thought about making another round of Spaghetti with Butter, Parmesan, and Browned Bacon which I remembered enjoying last summer, but then it occurred to me that the 365 Ways to Cook Pasta cookbook probably had more than one recipe that called for bacon. And it turns out I was right (but who's surprised?). Listed in the "Emergency Dinners" portion of the book, which has recipes that can be made in 30 minutes of less (as long as you have everything on the "staples" list on hand) I found Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Bacon and Onions. I wasn't really in an "emergency" situation, but I was in the state commonly known as "pretty tired", and this recipe wasn't too taxing, and didn't take very long. I started by cutting the bacon into small pieces and cooking it in the indispensable cast-iron skillet. When it was brown, I removed the bacon, and left just a tad of its liquid into the indispensable cast-iron sauce pan. To this, I added one small, chopped onion, one minced garlic clove, a can of organic diced tomatoes, and a bit of fresh ground pepper and cooked over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile I cooked the spaghetti, and grated some Parmesan cheese. When the spaghetti was cooked and drained it was placed on our colorful dishes, and topped with the sauce and cheese. This was simply scrumptious. We enjoyed this dish with "The Other" wine - a blend of merlot, shiraz, and Cabernet Sauvignon.The delicious smell of this dish is still lingering in my house almost 24 hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment