How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Pumpkin Scones

Each fall I feel compelled try at least one thing from The Pumpkin Cookbook.This year's recipe was pumpkin scones. It is important to note that none of the recipes in this book are created with canned pumpkin, each recipe calls for an actual pumpkin. The ingredient list for this one says to use 1/3 of a small pumpkin, "about six ounces". I did not weigh the pumpkin I bought. Rather I guesstimated.

Once I took out the seeds and fibers, I cut the pumpkin into wedges, removed the skin, and grated the flesh. Next I blended together 2 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, 1 t. baking powder, and 1/4 c. of butter. I did actually use my electric blender because the recipe said to use a food processor (and such an apparatus I do not own). I won't be trying that again. What a mess, and so unevenly mixed. Next time I will simply use a pastry cutter.

3 T. sugar was added to the mix and then 1/2 c. chopped candied ginger, along with the grated pumpkin. I added 1/3 cup of evaporated milk, but the mix was too sticky, so I had to add some more flour until the dough was a better texture for rolling. I rolled out the dough and used a the edge of a glass in lieu of a cookie cutter to cut out rounds, and then brushed the top of each scone with milk. The scones baked for 10 minutes at 425.

Not much flavor from the "essence of pumpkin" but a seasonal ginger spiciness came through nicely.




No comments:

Post a Comment