How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Paper Sack Fish Fillets





It turns out that October is National Cookbook Month - who knew? James and I were glad to discover this in time to be able to take advantage of it, since we haven't been keeping up with this blog every week of late as was the original intention.

I pulled out a never-before-used cookbook - Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook by Martha Hall Foose. I don't remember when or where we picked this up, but it is definitely one of the newer additions to our collection. This looks way more complicated than it is, and was fun to make, too.

The recipe calls for Catfish, but it was unavailable at our local fishmonger, so we bought some haddock fillets instead. In lieu of lunch sacks, I found two plain brown gift bags in my closet (reused from gifts I'd received - I try to reuse resources whenever possible) and then followed the instructions to spray the bags with cooking spray and then created the sauce with melted butter, olive oil, garlic, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest. I poured some of the sauce over each filet, along with some pepper. Then then carefully placed each fillet into it's own sack along with a slice of lemon and a sprig of dill. I pulled out the twine handle from each bag and used them to tie the end of the bags closed. The fish baked at 350 for 10 minutes.


 The bags puffed up in the hot oven making for a lovely effect when serving. 




As the recipe directed I sliced the bags open at the table "for maximum effect".  


No comments:

Post a Comment