How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, June 13, 2014

12-Clove Garlic Chicken

I adapted this recipe from the Jane Brody's Good Food Book "40-Clove Garlic Chicken" recipe. We didn't have 40 cloves of garlic, so I just worked with what I had. I used our super-cool pottery dish for baking a whole chicken.

 

I filled the bowl with one chopped onion, 12 garlic cloves, 4 pieces of cut celery, some parsely, garlic salt, pepper, nutmeg, and tarragon. There is a tube in the middle of the bowl upon which the chicken sits - this was filled with vermouth, and yet more vermouth was added to the bowl. The chicken was placed over the tube and then brushed with olive oil and additional vermouth. I covered the chicken with foil and placed it in a 325 degree oven for 1.5 hours, as indicated in the recipe. The chicken was not nearly done at that point, and James advised me to remove the foil. We also bumped the oven up to 400. After about 30 more minutes the chicken was done. It was juicy and full of flavor. We enjoyed this with a crusty multi-grain bread, some baked potatoes and some Pinot Grigiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment