How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Imbolc Snowflake Cakes - FAIL!

February 1 is the halfway point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, known as Candelmas, or Imbolc, it is pagan holiday, and the reason we celebrate Groundhog's Day. Recognizing this special day, I took out my Wicca Cookbook and found the section on Imbolc and set out to prepare a special dessert - Snowflake cakes. There were very few ingredients; only chopped pecans, butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and flour. I formed small balls from the mixed ingredients, and baked as directed. The recipe said that they would spread out to look like lacy snowflakes, this much was true. What didn't happen was any kind of "setting". When I tried to remove them from the cookie sheet, they simply crumbled apart. James and I ate a few of the crumbly bits, but most of this just got tossed. I am not sure whether I got proportions wrong when I tried to half the recipe, or if I needed to bake at a higher temperature, or for a longer period, or perhaps some combination of these problems. Anyway, I doubt I will try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment