How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Soup Fritter

A couple of weeks ago, Pam wrote about a soup enjoyed by all, an improvisation involving beans and potatoes that pleased the entire family. We had it and we had some leftovers as well, but we've traveled quite a lot since then (10 states in 10 days), so there was a bit leftover still when we got home this evening.

Our fridge works very well, so the soup was still good in the food-safety sense, but as Pam offered to reheat it (adding water, as we often do in such situations), I thought that the texture would not be quite right, so I made a counter-offer, which I had considered a couple of days ago. I turned the soup into fritters.

I began by pouring the soup into our wire-mesh sieve, shaking it gently over the sink so that I mainly had beans, onions, and potatoes to put in a large bowl. There I mashed the mixture as much as I could with an old-school potato masher. I did not succeed in mashing the beans very much, but in the end this was okay.

I added about 3 tablespoons of King Arthur whole-wheat flour and one egg (beaten) that we had just purchased from Hanson Farm. I mixed this all with a spoon and then heated our indispensable cast-iron griddle, to which I applied about one tablespoon each of lime-infused and chipotle-infused olive oils from L.O.V.E.

Once the oils were hot, I spooned the mixture onto the griddle, forming two fritters. I heated them through, and turned, browning thoroughly on both sides. Even though I had sieved the original soup, I wanted to ensure thorough cooking, especially since texture had been a main concern.


I took this disgusting photograph on purpose, because it beautifully illustrates something I learned when I toured General Mills headquarters back in the 1970s: food photography is a specialty. Even food that looks good in real life often fails in photographs. Food that looks awful in real life -- as this did -- therefore looks truly unpleasant in photographs.

Do not be deterred, though: this was proclaimed "not bad" and even "pretty good," especially when topped with cool, plain yogurt from Stonyfield. The contrasting textures worked well, and the spices in the original soup came through to the final meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment