How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Banana Rhubarb Crumble

Ahh...the first farm box pick up of the season. We got a lot of leafy greens, a jar of honey, and a bundle of rhubarb. I turned to Jane Brody's Good Food Book to find the recipe I had made once before for a church supper. I used the two especially ripe bananas we had on hand (cut into slices), and two big stalks of rhubarb. Each of these were chopped into bite size bits. The fruit was mixed with 2 T. sugar and a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. This mixture was placed in a pie pan and then topped with the crust mix which consisted of 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 c. oatmeal (substituted from the graham crackers called for in the recipe) 1/4 c. butter (cut in), one egg and 1/4 c. milk. I sprinkled a bit more sugar on top of the crust and baked in the convection oven at 375 for 25 minutes this turned out to be a wonderful combination of flavors and other sensations. The sweet bananas were a perfect complement to the tart rhubarb. My idea to top it with vanilla yogurt was inspired. I loved the contrast of warm and cold, and the variety of textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment