How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, December 21, 2012

Solstice celebration

As promised, when I wrote my "best latkes ever" post, today I tried the Bourbon - Rosemary. Almonds from the Wicca Cookbook.

Today is the solstice, the shortest day of the year, a time to celebrate the return of the sun with family and good food. My daughter is home from boarding school and the family is enjoying some quiet time together before becoming busy with visiting and travel. My husband and I especially miss her at mealtime when she is away and savor her company as much as the food when she can join us. What would have been a simple dinner today (store bought frozen crab cakes and baked potatoes) was made into a celebratory meal with the addition of the sweet and savory almonds. They were rather easy to make. The whole almonds (one cup) were toasted in the oven for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Meanwhile I boiled together 1/3 c brown sugar, 4 T bourbon, and 1 tsp of water. Once this mixture was thickened I added the almonds and a mix of 1 T dried rosemary leaves, a bit of cayenne pepper, a dash of salt and a teaspoon of cumin. Once everything was mixed thoroughly it was placed on a buttered baking sheet to cool off and served. James and I loved them. Paloma ate one to show that she was adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment