How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, June 15, 2012

A New Lunch and a New Dinner

To make up for last week, when we were on vacation and prepared no new recipes, I made two today. I noticed that we had some celery in the refrigerator, and we had just bought apples and grapes. Since we always have a supply of walnuts, I realized that we had what we needed for Waldorf salad, which I've eaten before, but never made myself. The dressing was made with 3T of mayonnaise, and 1T of fresh squeezed lemon (fortunately I found a lemon hidden in the fruit drawer as well) and a bit of fresh ground pepper. This was tossed with one chopped apple, about a dozen sliced grapes, 1/2 c. of thinly sliced celery, and 1/2 c. of toasted walnuts. Simple, crunchty and delicious.

For dinner we tried Rice Pilaf with Dates and Almonds. I still had quite a few dates from the charoset I made for our anniversary party, so this recipe from The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home looked like a good use for them. I heated 1T each of butter and olive oil in my indispensable cast-iron skillet and sauteed 1 chopped onion, and one minced garlic clove. Then added some frozen tri-colored peppers. Spices went in next: some fresh ground allspice, 1t turmeric, and a 1/2 t. cinnamon (now the kitchen really smelled good). I cut up a handful of dates and added them to the skillet, then stirred in 3 c. cooked rice and some parsley. Finally, I added some sliced almonds and stirred until everything was heated and well mixed. Tasty and satisfying with a lot of flavor, texture, and color.

No comments:

Post a Comment