How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Dandy Dressing for Fruit Salad

This week we picked up our first Community Supported Agriculture farm box of the season from our friends at Colchester Neighborhood Farm. We received a lot of leafy greens, some radishes, strawberries, rhubarb, zucchini bread, and a few other goodies. As the summer goes on the bounty will become bigger, and we will feel especially blessed as we wonder how we will manage to eat all the good organic food. We made ourselves a sign to hang in the kitchen that simply asks "What did you use from the farm box?" as a reminder to see what we can employ from the harvest when preparing meals. This week we used the greens and strawberries to reprise the Lemon-Pepper Shrimp and Strawberry Salad we made last year for our anniversary, and I used the rhubarb to make a topping for fruit salad. I boiled 1/2 c. each of water and honey together, then added the chopped rhubarb (I don't have a quantity for the 'barb, I simply used the amount that came in the box, which was roughly "a small bundle".) This I simmered for 10 minutes, until it turned to mush. I used my potato masher to completely liquefy it, then poured it over a mix of apples, blueberries, bananas, grapes, and peaches.  We ate it as part of our picnic at the Westport Rivers Winery Summer Sunset  Concert. I think next time I will use less honey, the sweetness seemed to overwhelm the tartness of the rhubarb. Looking forward to making another salad this weekend with the rest of the greens.



No comments:

Post a Comment