How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Glücklich Glüwein

For the solstice earlier this week, Pamela found a recipe we could prepare without returning to the grocery store -- we had not thought about it before my most recent foraging. I was especially grateful because I was still a bit annoyed by the abrupt transformation of our closest store from full service to garish self-serve, just in time for the holidays. I am not exactly boycotting, but I was certainly not ready to head back. 

As we often do on cardinal and cross-quarter days, she opened our Wicca Cookbook. Main-course recipes mainly involved lamb, which we tend to avoid. A beverage option was appealing both for its simplicity and the expected level of coziness: Glüwein.

I poured a bottle of delicious Carmenere into a large pot and since the recipe called for more than twice this amount, I did some quick kitchen math to arrive at this list of amendments:

  • 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 6 whole cloves
  • some lemon juice
  • some orange juice
  • some orange peel
I slowly raised this mixture to a boil and let it gently simmer -- covered -- while I made quesadillas. Since this was to be quick dinner and the Glüwein was supposed to simmer for an hour, I just slowed down the dinner prep and compromised at about 45 minutes. The recipe does not specify this, but I poured the mulled wine through a strainer into a bowl before transferring it to a serving pitcher. Not very rustic, but elegant and still very hygge. 

It may be tempting to use a cheap wine since other flavors are being added, but it was definitely worthwhile to use a wine that was very good -- and full-bodied -- on its own as the base for this concoction. The Carmenere is from the Colqui Valley of Chile and is very comparable to the Malbecs we more often drink. 


As cozy as the wine itself was the presentation. A habit we have had for 35 years has been particularly valuable throughout these unprecedented times of forced togetherness: we set the table for each meal, with cloth napkins and the like -- even a candle or oil lamp at dinner. Our pitcher and mugs were perfect for this -- and I did not think of their sun motif until we were seated. 

Lagniappe

Those quesadillas are a household favorite that had not yet appeared on this blog. I will be adding the very simple recipe shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment