How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Monday, February 25, 2019

Cabbage with Apples, Onions, and Caraway

This one comes from the New York Times Cooking Page, and was selected because I had some leftover cabbage from the cole slaw James made last week, and an apple that needed to be eaten soon, or be composted. Fortunately I already had the other ingredients (onions, celery and caraway) on hand. The recipe also called for sprinkling sliced scallions on top before serving, but that would have required a trip to the grocery store, so I skipped that part.

I started by cutting the 1/2 head of cabbage into strips and cooking in boiling salted water for less than one minute. This was drained and rinsed in cold water.

Next I sliced the apple and onion and cooked with salt and pepper in our indispensable cast-iron skillet. Once they were browned I added the celery and caraway seeds. All of this was placed into a casserole dish with the cabbage and cooked at 400 for 10 minutes.

It made a fine side dish to accompany a family-favorite, comfort-food, hamburger-helper type meal.

I wouldn't go out of my way to prepare it again, but it was an excellent way to use up produce that otherwise would have gone bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment