How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Coconut Shrimp


I am the first person to admit that I am hard to buy presents for, which is why I tell people not to get me gifts. I already have more than enough stuff, and I can afford to buy myself just about anything that anyone I know can afford to buy for me, so if I want or need something I will just take care of it myself. With this said I have to say that my in-laws really came through with a recent gift of a variety-pack of flavored salts. Each flavor also had a recipe card, so when James asked what he should pick up at the fishmonger on Tuesday I suggested shrimp so I could try my hand at the Grilled Coconut Shrimp (see photo below), even though I wouldn't have a grill.

Instead of skewering the shrimp (as indicated) with the pineapple and scallions, I stir fried everything in our indispensable cast-iron skillet. It didn't take long. I heated some basil-infused olive oil in the pan, while I whisked the salt, honey, chopped scallions, and soy sauce together. Once the mix was in the skillet I added the shrimp and cooked for two minutes, then turned the shrimp over and added the pineapple chunks and cooked for one minute more. All flavors came through for a sweet and savory meal.





As a rule I don't like coconut (or pineapple), but I do like coconut shrimp (and piƱa coladas)!

No comments:

Post a Comment