How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Hot Cross Buns


My family and I were invited to Easter dinner by my friend Jenny's mother, Jackie, in 1998 (my first Easter as a Bay Stater). Since that time I enjoyed the holiday meal with Jackie every year. Dinner moved from Jackie's house to Jenny's house a few years ago (and I have offered our house for next Easter), nevertheless the tradition remains. Another tradition that started in 1998 is that I would always consider making hot cross buns to share at dinner, but then, after looking at the recipe and figuring in dealing with preparing an Easter basket, going to sunrise service, and my attending "regular" church service as well, it just wasn't going to happen. With my child now grown and living in another city, and the realization that I really didn't have to go to sunrise service I decided to go for it, and make the long awaited bread. The recipe came with my bread machine (see image below), a gift from my mother in 1997. I can't believe the machine still works. I used it a lot when I first received it, but for the last several years it has been used perhaps only once a month. Anyway, the hot cross buns turned out great, and were a big hit a dinner. They were also very big.






No comments:

Post a Comment