How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Monday, December 7, 2015

Cheesy Bacon Egg Brunch Casserole

I think the recipe for this casserole just appeared on my FaceBook feed recently. I had some bacon so I decided to give it a try. I sent James to the grocery store with instructions to purchase any ingredients we needed to prepare this. He did an excellent job of checking to see what was already in our larder, so he skipped buying mozzarella cheese of which we had plenty. It was unfortunate then that I neglected to check the recipe when I was packing up the ingredients we would need in order to make this at our beach house where we would be spending the weekend. I did manage to bring everything else, so I just went ahead made the dish sans mozzarella. The recipe says prep time is 25 minutes and bake time is fifty. I do not know where these numbers came from, unless the chef also has a sous chef. I took almost an hour to prepare everything, and I felt I was being rather efficient with cutting, chopping, and shredding other ingredients while the bacon cooked. The baking time was close to one and a half hours. After the first fifty minutes we saw how runny the casserole still was and bumped the oven thermostat up to 380 (from 350). I recognize that if I'd used the appropriate amount of cheese it might not have taken so long, but even after 90 minutes it was still a bit runny. We were so hungry at that point though we didn't want to wait any longer (plus the top had gone from "golden" to "brown" and was starting to move toward "black". It actually tasted pretty good, and there were plenty of leftovers for the next day, when it tasted even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment