How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Imifino

This recipe made from mixed greens and cornmeal came from out Extending the Table cookbook. James was wary of it from the get go, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Big mistake.

I started with the greens from our CSA farm box that I'd frozen over the summer. I put them in boiling water along with some garlic scrape (also frozen over the summer), and a chopped onion. Then I added 1.5 c. of cornmeal and let it cook for 10 minutes. At this point I had a big wad of green and yellow mush. I added a some more water, and some garlic salt, and left the pan on low heat to cook for 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes I added two eggs to the top of the mush, hoping to add some protein, and some flavor. I failed at the latter. When I served this it was still just a big green and yellow wad, but now each of us had an cooked egg on top of our servings. Although I added more garlic salt, and some pepper this was simply bland. The texture was also too much for James, who did not even finish his serving. Unfortunately, there are plenty of leftovers. Looks like it is up to me to eat them over the next two days. Perhaps I will try some cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment