How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, January 25, 2013

Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

We are experiencing some bitter cold temperatures here in New England, and we are gravitating toward nice, hot soups to warm up. Since even a trip to the grocery store, in the car, requires some minimal exposure to the elements, we looked for something we could make with ingredients we already had in the house. Since we had both sweet potatoes and black beans on hand, I went searching allrecipes.com for a sweet potato and black bean soup. This video from Chef John was easy to adapt to ingredients we had and easy to follow. I began by peeling and dicing two sweet potatoes. The cubes were tossed in with some chipotle olive oil from Lebherz Oil and Vinegar Emporium along with some chili powder and a dash of salt. The potatoes were roasted for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Meanwhile, I took my cast iron pot and sauteed some chopped onions. To these I added some tri-colored frozen pepper slices, and a few pinches of garlic salt, along with some cilantro and other spices. Then a can of diced tomatoes was added, along with some water, a T of corn meal and a T of unsweetened cocoa powder. Once everything was cooked and blended for about 20 minutes I added one can of black beans, and the sweet potatoes. I also added some frozen mixed greens I had from last year's CSA deliveries. We get so many greens during the year that I end up freezing most of them, and then I can easily add them anytime I make a savory soup. Everything was simmered together for about 12 more minutes, and then served. This was filling, hearty, and full of texture, color and flavor. It was spicy without being overly so, and was the perfect meal for dark winter night. It paired well with the bottle of "Hot cocoa" ale we found in the back of our refrigerator. I am really not sure where it came from originally. I think it has been there for over a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment