How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Pie in the time of Corona


Last Saturday was Pie (Pi) Day - 3.14. We had a bit of ground turkey left from when we made turkey burgers earlier in the week, so I told James I would start with that to make shepherd's pie. He didn't think it would really be enough, but I told him I could stretch it. He also seemed concerned because the turkey had apples and onions in it, but I couldn't see how the extra flavor would be a problem. He was prepared to make a grocery trip so I asked him to get some carrots and potatoes. He came back with carrots but said the produce section was completely wiped out of potatoes. We had six rather small ones on hand so again I decided I could stretch them. We also had 5 pieces of bacon so I started by cooking them and using them as a bottom "crust" for the pie. The filling was made with sauteéd onions and garlic, the cooked ground turkey, sliced carrots and peas. The potatoes were cooked and mashed for the topping. I baked everything at 375 for some amount of time. I don't remember. Anyway, it turned out good.

We are trying to be especially creative and thoughtful with our ingredients during this time of crisis. We did find an open farmer's market on Sunday. Not many people there (neither customers nor vendors) but we did buy some fresh vegetables to use in the coming week. We are both working from home this week. So far frustration levels are low to medium - having good food helps.

I recognize that the ability to put together meals when I have to make do with what is available is actually a privilege, and I am pleased to realize that over the nine plus years that we've been blogging about our cooking we have learned what flavors taste good together, what we like and don't like, and what we can tolerate.  It has made meal preparation one less thing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment