How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Kale and Some Other Stuff

Chicken Braised With Potatoes and Pine Nuts
Spoiler alert: Mine was good, but nothing like this!
Photo: Christopher Testani for The New York Times.
Food Stylist: Simon Andrews

The actual title of this dish by Julia Moskin is Chicken Braised With Potatoes and Pine Nuts. Kale is just one of more than a dozen ingredients, and not among the three or four most important. But we are not big kale people, so I had to push myself to include it. I am glad I did.

Pamela had bookmarked this recipe during one of her regular perusals of the NYT recipe pages. When she shared it with me today, I was attracted by the combination of flavors and decided that cooking it would be a fine way to spend the last couple hours of my spring break. (*Not counting the additional week of spring break that will be provided by the COVID-19 pandemic.)

I thought that the title was a bit odd, implying that the potatoes were somehow searing the meat. This is because the title is awkwardly phrased and because it turns out I had no idea what braising means. 

I followed the recipe rather closely, and the result was delicious -- both on the plate and in the aroma of the whole house. Rather than choosing between cloves and cinnamon, by the way, I used both -- Gabriela style -- and I am glad I did.

My result was, however, more like a stew than the professionally prepared, styled, and photographed result shown above. I will adjust my cooking in three ways next time to achieve better braisedness:
  1. I will not crowd the pan in the first step, so that I can really brown each piece;
  2. I will turn each piece to brown them on both sides, even though the recipe does not specify this; and
  3. I will take more seriously the advice to use much less water. With the closed lid, steam will do the job anyway. I will also be more aggressive in driving off the residual water in the final step.
The flavors were complex and rich enough that I plan to add a few more next time, including an ample dose of ginger. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment