How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Oeuf Mayo (Egg Mayo)

In honor of Bastille Day James and I had a simple French dish for lunch. Oeuf Mayo showed up on my Facebook feed from the New York Times Cooking Pages. According to NYT the description "it's so beloved in France that it has a society to protect it." As with so many recipes from the New York Times the name of the dish tells the ingredients. In this case eggs and mayo. The recipe says you can use either store-bought mayo and spice it up or make it yourself. I made mayonnaise one time many years ago and decided not to do it again. Vegetable oil (rather than olive oil) seems to be especially important when making your own mayo, and I only had olive oil. I added some fresh parsley and basil from my garden to a few tablespoons of Hellmann's along with a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. I spooned the mayo over the eggs and then added paprika as an additional seasoning. It was a super easy dish to make, but I think I prefer my eggs and mayo as egg salad. We had some mozzarella slices on the side and a crusty french bread (made fresh in our bread machine) to complement the eggs.



Those who have read my very first post know that this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professors. I was a Spanish major as an undergraduate, and also have a Master's degree in Spanish literature. However, we both also know a bit of French. I learned the language by attending French classes up through the advanced level in college. James has learned mostly by the use of the Duolingo app over the past year - a pandemic project. We actually met in French 101 back in college. It is still a wonder to me how we ever ended up together given James' super poor attendance record in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment