How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, March 19, 2021

Especialidad de la Casa

Meaning "Specialty of the House" -- this was the title Pamela suggested when she said I should include this dinner on the blog. It implies something a bit beyond the usual post, as no recipe was involved.

Rather, the concept for this dinner evolved in real time as I considered what to do with a few different leftovers. I set the chicken breasts (about one and a half of them) that were thawed but not used earlier in the week onto a plate and poked them with a sharp knife. I doused them with soy sauce and then smothered them in sriracha and returned the plate to the fridge for a couple of hours. 

When it was time to cook, I heated oil in our indispensable cast-iron skillet over a high flame while I sliced the chicken into thin strips. I then sprinkled liberally with dried thyme and when the chicken was seared and nearly cooked through, I thinly sliced a crisp, granny smith apple and stirred it in. As I usually do when cooking with apples, I sliced the top and the bottom off, discarding them, and then used a corer to make 8 sections. I sliced each lengthwise into two or three thin slices, leaving the skin on. By discarding the tops, I get about half the skin and most of the flesh, making for a nice compromise on texture.

Apple-chicken-thyme, in progress

I then added a bit more oil and a cup of cooked rice that was already in the fridge. Once heated through, I plated this and opened -- as one might guess -- some Malbec. This was so simple and delicious that we will savor today's leftovers (with a shared quesadilla) and will put this in the Casa Hayes-Boh dinner rotation!



No comments:

Post a Comment