How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Monday, April 17, 2023

Pineapple Salmon

A Tale of Double Leftovers

After enjoying a bounteous Easter dinner with friends last week, we left them with some lemony cake and they sent us off with a lot of delicious, spiral-cut ham. Neither of these are included in this recipe, but they are what got us here. 

That is to say, the availability of ham led us to make a wonderful, deep-dish ham-and-pineapple pizza in our indispensable cast-iron skillet. For that, I purchased a whole pineapple for the first time in a hound's age, but we only used half of it.

So off I went to Kyler's Catch for a wonderful fillet of salmon -- in this case, organically farmed Canadian. I have had some misgivings about farmed fish, but this is one I have started to embrace. 

I prepared it according to the simple Baked Pineapple Salmon recipe from Chef Jar, a site that was new to me -- with one important digression. I made rings (actually half-rings) from the half-pineapple (I always cut them lengthwise first) and thereby had almost no pineapple juice for the sauce.



The editing and formatting over at Chef Jar is pretty terrible; I realized after the fact that its "Jump to Recipe" link would have been preferable to navigating the three different ingredient lists and the random advice that is scattered throughout the main body of the article. 

The result was delicious and beautiful, paired nicely with rice and Löss & Lehm organic Grüner Veltliner from Stevie's.

Lagniappe: The Next Days

For those still wondering about our leftovers, we can report that Pamela found the perfect way to use the rest of the ham; Sunday was National Eggs Benedict Day

And because I can only make rice with one cup of rice and two+ cups of water, there is always leftover rice. Hence Monday's rice and beans -- and a caught-up kitchen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment