How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Friday, February 25, 2022

Crab-stuffed flounder

Well, it's already been a week since National Crab-Stuffed Flounder Day. It was fortuitous that it fell on a day we were already planning on going to Kyler's Catch to fetch some seafood for dinner. We were aware that crab meat these days is crazy expensive and so we were in fact prepared to pay the $17 for 8 ounces. Nevertheless, this of course put a bit of pressure on the chef-of-the-day (Pam) to get preparing the meal right. 

I used this recipe from The Nibble with the following adjustments

  • We used sole which is not exactly the same as flounder, but it was recommended by the folks at Kyler's, whose advice we heed.
  • I did not use celery (we didn't have any).
  • I used dry parsley.
  • I absolutely did not use plain breadcrumbs. I only use panko.
  • The filets weren't big enough to roll with the crabmeat inside, so I made fish sandwiches instead.

Ready for the oven

We very much enjoyed this meal. And it really wasn't difficult. Looking forward to enjoying this again when the price of crab is more reasonable. 

2 comments:

  1. Key phrase: "the folks at Kyler's, whose advice we heed." This is true in all things seafood.

    Also: I would argue it was fortuitous we did not have celery. I know this is a minority opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And regarding the spelling of filet/fillet, I found this:
    "Filet is the alternative French spelling of fillet. ... Because of this usage, filet is used more widely in reference to meat than fish. So while the general practice now is to refer to fish in fillets and meat in filets, you'd really be making no error if you do the opposite!"
    To which Pam replied that it is appropriate, since we met in French class. See our NY Times profile for details.

    ReplyDelete