How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Egg Cream

Yesterday an article from Gastro Obscura on the egg cream showed up on my Facebook feed, and so I got a bee in my bonnet that I needed to make some. I had heard of them before, and knew that they were made with neither egg nor cream, but had never had one. They are super simple to make at home, and we had all the ingredients we needed: fizzy water (made with our SodaStream); milk, and chocolate sauce. I used the egg cream recipe from Ina Garten and made my own chocolate sauce with the recipe from Barefeet in the Kitchen. I have discovered that we can make chocolate sauce faster than it takes to make a grocery store run to buy it, and of course these days we are avoiding grocery runs as much as possible anyway.

We weren't totally sold on the egg creams. They looked pretty cool with their frothy tops, but as James pointed out, they are essentially homemade Yoo-Hoo, and we both outgrew that about the time our ages hit double digits.

It will probably be a hit with children though and it is rather easy to make.



No comments:

Post a Comment