How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Like having pudding for breakfast!

A few years ago, when I put oatmeal on a grocery list, James came home with steel cut oats instead. It wasn’t a big deal, but I was aware that steel cut oats took longer to prepare than regular oatmeal, so we would need to plan ahead for breakfasts that required their use. With this in mind I brought the steel cut oats to the beach house where meal preparation tends go at a more leisurely pace, and bought some regular oatmeal for our regular house. Last week when a recipe for Brown-Butter Chocolate Oatmeal (using steel cut oats, not oatmeal) showed up on my Facebook feed from the New York Times Cooking page I knew I’d found a perfect morning meal for Easter weekend.
The chocolate flavor comes from unsweetened powered cocoa, so this will only be as sweet as each diner likes using whatever sweetening agents they prefer. I used a bit of brown sugar and some sliced banana. James just used the brown sugar. We both liked our results.

I halved the recipe, and followed the suggestion to “substitute...milk...for up to half the water”.  This was thick and flavorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment