How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Potatoes with Creamy Tomato Sauce

James found this Colombian recipe in our Extending the Table cookbook. We both worked a little late last night, and then had to pick up our daughter from school, and we wanted to finish dinner in time to attend a Student Immigration Movement panel discussion at the University at 7:00. I told James I would start dinner while he went to fetch the girl. My first challenge was removing the tomatoes from from the freezer. I had one ziploc baggie of local, organic tomatoes frozen from the summer left, and I really wanted to used them for the recipe. However, the bag had gotten pushed to the back of the freezer where it molded itself around the wire shelf before it completely froze. I had to use a blow dryer to melt the tomatoes enough to extricate them from the wire. From there, though, the dish was easy to make. I sauteed some onions, then added the tomatoes, and sauteed a few more minutes. Then I added 1/2 & 1/2 and some spices to the mix. Meanwhile I sliced and boiled some potatoes. Just as the potatoes were ready, I added shredded mozzarella to the tomato mix. I served the potaotes topped with the creamy tomatoes and added green beans as a side dish (which also tasted good mixed with the tomato). This was a rib sticking, satisfying, and tasty meal. We even managed to get our ususally tomato-eschewing daughter to try it. A perfect dish for a winter's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment