How It All Started

Bob Phillips

The title of this blog was inspired by one of my Spanish professor's at Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Robert Phillips, who died in the e...

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Recipes - Week 2

I wound up making two new recipes today. When I realized that it was the 92nd anniversary of the Great Boston Molasses Flood I decided to make some molasses muffins and chose Apple Streusel Walnut muffins from the Crosby Molasses Company website. I like things with a lot of texture and the combination of apples, nuts, and molasses gave this a good mix of flavor and texture - moist, yet chunky. James, Paloma and I all liked these, and they only took about 20 minutes to mix and 20 minutes to bake. They went well with coffee and with milk.

Earlier this week we experienced a power outage, so I had thawed some ground turkey figuring that, since we have a gas stove, I would be able to cook turkey burgers on the stove top. I intended to invite some friends who have an electric stove to come over so we could all have a hot meal, but the power came on well before dinnertime, and my friends invited us back to their house for lasagna, which had been the plan in the first place. So, I still had the thawed turkey and was running out of week, and decided to see if I could find a new turkey burger recipe. Jane Brody's Good Food Book to the rescue. This cookbook is an old favorite, and we are on our second copy of it, having worn out the first. Brody's turkey burgers call for bread crumbs, chopped onion, ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, paprika, Tabasco sauce and black pepper. She suggests eating them on pita bread  with lettuce and tomato. I made the following changes to her recipe:

         When I squeezed our almost-empty ketchup bottle the plastic cracked, so I threw it away and
          substituted barbeque sauce
          We did not  have soy sauce so I put in extra Worcestershire sauce instead
          I used a plain old hamburger bun rather than pita bread

These were juicy and tender, and had a lot of flavors. They were especially good with the sweet potato fries I served with them. James and I both liked them. (Vegetarian Paloma did not join us.) I think, though, that I will stick with my old favorites for turkey burgers in the future: cheddar cheese with barbeque sauce, or the Apple Turkey Burgers I made last summer in honor of Arkansas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment